LINE MAN Wongnai releases a price index on the changes of single-dish meal’s price across the country from 2020-2022 as a comparison on the inflation and rising cost of living. The data was collected from over 700,000 restaurants that offer delivery services through LINE MAN in 77 provinces in Thailand. Key findings include:
- The average price of a single-dish meal in Thailand is now 3.66 baht (6.7%) more expensive (between May 2021 and May 2022). This is similar to the 7.1% inflation rate as released by the Ministry of Commerce.
- Pricing of meals in other provinces is cheaper than those in the Bangkok metropolitan area by 7 baht on average. However, the rate of price increase is higher than in Bangkok metropolitan.
- The price of the pork menu remains similar, but the chicken menu is evidently more expensive from March 2022 onward.
- Basil rice (ข้าวผัดกะเพรา) is now 3 baht more expensive in the first 4 months of 2022 (data from February – May 2022). From an average of 56 baht, it has increased to 59 baht.
The average price of single-dish meals throughout Thailand from 2020-2022:
Key finding: Inflation and the rise in the cost of ingredients have made the average price of single-dish meals in Thailand in 2022 increased by 3.66 baht or 6.7% (between May 2021 and May 2022).
LINE MAN Wongnai reports the change in the average price of single-dish meals like noodles (ก๋วยเตี๋ยว), stir-fried suki (สุกี้), basil rice (ข้าวผัดกะเพรา), a la carte meal (อาหารตามสั่ง), fried rice (ข้าวผัด), chicken rice (ข้าวมันไก่), BBQ pork rice (ข้าวหมูแดง), stewed pork leg with rice (ข้าวขาหมู), noodle in gravy sauce (ราดหน้า) and more that have been sold between 2020-2022.
It has been found that the average price of single-dish meals in 2020 was similar to 2021; with 2021 slightly cheaper than 2020 perhaps due to the economy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, the average price in 2022 significantly rose from 2021. The average price in January 2022 was at 55.33 baht compared to 53.33 baht in January 2021 (2 baht more expensive). In May 2022, it was at 57.87 baht compared to 54.21 baht in May 2021; increasing by 3.66 baht or 6.7%, which is close to the inflation rate of 7.1% estimated by the Ministry of Commerce in May 2022 (source).
The East is the region with the most expensive average price for single-dish meals at 59.96 baht, while the West is cheapest at 49.92 baht (June 2022). The Central region sees the greatest increase at 3.97 baht (between January and June 2022).
The average price of single-dish meals in each region in June 2022 (an increase from January 2022):
- Central 59.63 baht (+3.97 baht)
- East 59.96 baht (+3.16 baht)
- North 50.26 baht (+2.94 baht)
- Northeast 56.04 baht (+3.51 baht)
- South 57.46 baht (+2.58 baht)
- West 49.92 baht (+2.43 baht)
Comparing the average price of single-dish meals in Bangkok metropolitan area and other provinces:
Key finding: The meal price in other provinces is lower than the Bangkok metropolitan area by 7 baht on average, but has a higher increase rate.
LINE MAN Wongnai reports the average price of single-dish meals in 6 provinces of Bangkok metropolitan area (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathumthani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Pathom) and other provinces in Thailand being sold on the LINE MAN platform to determine the difference between the cost of living of those living in Bangkok metropolitan and other provinces.
It was found that:
- The price of single-dish meals in the Bangkok metropolitan area was 8 baht more expensive than in other provinces (on 1 January 2021), but this difference has decreased to 7 baht already (as of 1 May 2022).
- Throughout 2021, the price of single-dish meals in other provinces has increased by 5.9%. The increase rate in the Bangkok metropolitan area was 2.8% during the same time period.
- In 2022, the price has continuously increased since February. The average price of single-dish meals in the Bangkok metropolitan area has increased by 6.68%, and in other provinces by 7.98% (between 1 January 2022 and 1 May 2022).
|Average price (baht) on 1 Jan 21||Average price (baht) on 1 May 21||Average price (baht) on 1 Jan 22||Average price (baht) on 1 May 22|
|Bangkok metropolitan||56.77||57.19||58.38(+2.8% YoY)||61.01(+6.68% YoY)(+4.5% from 1 Jan 22)|
|Other provinces||48.78||50.02||51.64(+5.9% YoY)||54.01(+7.98% YoY)(+4.6% from 1 Jan 22)|
The average price of meals according to ingredients in the first half of 2022:
Key finding: The price for the pork menu remains similar, but the chicken menu has risen significantly since March 2022.
LINE MAN Wongnai reports the average meal price comparison (including all types of food and prices) according to the kinds of meat used as ingredients. It was found that menus with chicken have seen the sharpest increase, fitting the news of chicken being the most expensive in 20 years (source).
The average price of meals with chicken has increased significantly in March 2022 and reached the ultimate high in April 2022 before declining in May. Still, it was considered to be higher than before.
The average price of chicken menu in the first half of 2022:
- 1 March 80.37 baht
- 1 April 109 baht
- 13 April 134 baht (a sharp increase during Songkran holiday)
- 1 May 113 baht
- 1 June 93.9 baht
For the pork menu, the price has been stable at 64-69 baht throughout the first half of 2022. It’s below the average meal price (for all kinds of meat), which is at 64-80 baht.
The average price of basil rice in Thailand between 2020-2022
Key finding: The price of basil rice increased from 56 baht on average in early 2022 to 59 baht; about 3 baht more expensive.
LINE MAN Wongnai has monitored the change to the average price of ‘basil rice’, a popular dish for Thai people (this includes basil fried rice, basil rice topped with all kinds of meat, but doesn’t include extra options such as fried egg or omelette) between 2020 to 2022.
It was found that the average price of basil rice in Thailand has increased. At the beginning of 2021, it was 52.78 baht. This experienced a constant increase until it was 54.73 baht at the end of the year (increased by 2 baht).
But in 2022, the situation has changed drastically. At the start of the year, the average price of a basil rice was 55.9 baht and became 59 baht in May (3 baht more expensive in 4 months).
The East has the most expensive average price at 62.24 baht. The West has the lowest average price at 50.08 baht.
The average price of basil rice according to different regions:
- Central 60.63 baht
- East 62.24 baht
- North 50.57 baht
- Northeast 57.30 baht
- South 56.79 baht
- West 50.08 baht